Perfect Master Upasni Maharaj
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Full name||Upasni Maharaj|
|Born||May 15, 1870
|Died||December 24, 1941
Ahmednagar District, India
|School/tradition||Hinduism, Advaita Vedanta|
Upasni Maharaj, born Kashinath Govindrao Upasni, (May 15, 1870 – December 24, 1941) was considered by his disciples to be a satguru. He lived in Sakori, India and is said to have received God-realization from Sai Baba of Shirdi. Sakori is located in Ahmednagar District of Maharashtra, about 5 kilometres (3 mi) from Shirdi.
 Early life
Upasni Maharaj was born a Hindu in a Brahmin family of priests in the village of Satana, India, in the district of Nasik on May 15, 1870. His father's name was Govind Shastri and his mother's, Rukhmini.
After a career as an ayurvedic doctor and three marriages where all three wives died, he began to hear a singing voice that he could not explain. This troubling sound, along with various other problems, led him on a difficult quest that finally culminated in him meeting Sai Baba of Shirdi who is said to have given him God-realization at the age of 42. Sai Baba then claimed to be the one who was calling him inwardly.
Upasni was very fiery and once said, "Unless you are ready to eat crap, how can you aspire for spirituality?"
The principal teaching of Upasni Maharaj was that there are three rules that if observed sincerely lead to a life worth living:
- Not to trouble anybody in the least.
- To suffer for and be useful to others.
- To remain contented in a state of Be as it may.
 Master to Meher Baba
Upasni moved to Sakori in July 1917 and Meher Baba frequently stayed there as late as October 1922. According to Baba, Upasni Maharaj gave him divine knowledge after he received God-realization in January 1914 at the age of 19 from Hazrat Babajan. After a separation of nearly 20 years, Meher Baba and Upasni Maharaj met for the last time on October 17, 1941 in Dahigaon, a small village in Niphad Taluka in the Nashik District of Maharashtra, just two months before Upasni's death.
 See also
- ^ The God-Man, C.B. Purdom, London Allen & Unwin Ltd. 1964. p. 15
- ^ According to online tourist sites, Sakori is about 5 kilometers from Shirdi.  
- ^ Meher Prabhu: Lord Meher, The Biography of the Avatar of the Age, Meher Baba, Bhau Kalchuri, Manifestation, Inc. 1986.
- ^ The Talks of Shri Sadguru Upasni Maharaj. 1950
- ^ The God-Man, C.B. Purdom, London Allen & Unwin Ltd. 1964.
- ^ Meher Prabhu: Lord Meher, The Biography of the Avatar of the Age, Meher Baba, Bhau Kalchuri, Manifestation, Inc. 1986. p. 2724
 Further reading
- Shepherd, Kevin R.D. Gurus Rediscovered: Biographies of Sai Baba of Shirdi and Upasni Maharaj of Sakori. Anthropographia Publications 1986.